Louisville won 4-3. Box Score
- Billy Hamilton went 1-4 with a double.
- Felix Perez went 1-4 with a walk off HR (1).
- Mike Hessman went 2-3 with 2 solo HR (2).
- Henry Rodriguez went 1-3 with a double and a run.
- Denis Phipps went 1-3 with an RBI.
- Tony Cingrani threw 6 no-hit innings with a walk and 14 strikeouts.
- Justin Freeman threw 2 shutout innings with 3 strikeouts
The big story here was the debut of Tony Cingrani at the AAA level where he was dominating, striking out the side in three different innings and totaling 14 before reaching a pitch limit of 85. He worked mostly in the 91-92 range, but touched 95-96 early in the game. Billy Hamilton had a steal wiped off of the books. He was on the front end of a double steal, but Felix Perez was thrown out at second. Kevin Whelan gave up three unearned in the 9th, but he wasn’t fooling anyone as several balls were crushed. Felix Perez led off the bottom of the 9th with a home run off of the “foul” pole to end the game on opening night.
Pensacola won 7-3. Box Score
- Ryan LaMarre went 1-4 with a walk and an RBI.
- Devin Lohman went 1-4 with 2 RBI.
- Bryson Smith went 1-5 with a solo HR (1).
- Donald Lutz went 1-4 with a solo HR (1).
- Travis Mattair went 1-4 with a solo HR (1).
- Tucker Barnhart went 2-4 with a solo HR (1).
- Brodie Greene went 2-3 with a walk and 2 runs.
- Steve Selsky went 0-0 with a walk and a run as a pinch hitter.
- Chad Rogers went 1-1 at the plate. He allowed 2 runs in 5 innings with a walk and 4 strikeouts on the mound.
- Yohan Pino threw 2 perfect innings with a strikeout.
- Curtis Partch threw a perfect 9th inning with 2 strikeouts.
The wind was blowing out in Pensacola last night and it showed as there were 5 home runs in total hit on the night. Travis Mattair absolutely crushed his home run and the wind helped carry it into the water, but it was leaving the park on any night. Tucker Barnhart hit one out to center field from the left side of the plate. Chad Rogers pitched really well, giving up two runs on a home run that was a wind aided shot.
Bakersfield lost 6-2. Box Score
- Juan Perez went 1-4 with a run.
- Ryan Wright went 2-4 with a double and an RBI.
- Yorman Rodriguez went 1-4 with a double and 2 RBI.
- Mike Dennhardt threw 2 shutout innings with a strikeout.
- El’Hajj Muhammad threw a hitless inning with 2 walks and 2 strikeouts.
The pitching staff had a total of 12 strikeouts in the game, but they were hurt by the home run as they gave up 3 on the game.
Dayton lost 7-6 in 10 innings. Box Score
- Seth Mejias-Brean went 1-4 with a walk.
- Junior Arias went 1-4 with a walk, 2 runs and solo HR (1).
- Joe Hudson went 1-4 with a walk, RBI and a run.
- Robert Ramirez went 2-4 with a walk, 2 RBI and a run.
- Robert Stephenson allowed 3 runs in 5 innings with a walk and 6 strikeouts.
- Wes Mugarian threw 2 perfect innings with 3 strikeouts.
- Alejandro Chacin threw 2 hitless innings with 2 walks and 2 strikeouts.
On the surface, Robert Stephenson appears to have struggled. But two of his hits were infield hits and a third one was one I still don’t understand how it possibly got through as it rolled at 10 MPH. He pitched better than his line may suggest. The Dragons walked 8 times on the night and had several hard hit balls turned into outs on nice plays.
|Team||1st half||2nd half||Time||Probable||Box Score||Listen Live||Watch Live|