The Cincinnati Reds instructional league roster came out yesterday. There was one thing that jumped off the pages at you when looking at it. Nick Senzel was listed as an outfielder. To this point in his college and professional career, Nick Senzel has never played a game in the outfield.

Bobby Nightengale of the Cincinnati Enquirer spoke with Dick Williams about the Reds plan for Nick Senzel in instructional league. Before you continue, I suggest that you read the article. There’s more than a few things in there worth noting. But the biggest takeaway is that the team is going to have him focus most of his time in left field.

Williams said the front office believes Senzel has enough athleticism to play center field, but Senzel will spend most of his time learning left field.

“I think we’ll focus on left field first,” Williams said. “In many ways, that’s the most difficult to play. We won’t be splitting time equally between the three. But since that is the most difficult, we’ll probably start him there, just so he gets more time at the one that’s the most difficult.”

Let’s address all of the pieces here. Left field is the most difficult position to play? That’s certainly something you don’t hear too often. I do think it’s worth noting that this isn’t suggesting it requires more skill to play. I think it’s more about how the ball travels – but that also applies to right field, too. It’s a weird quote overall. But, among positions on the field in terms of defensive value, left field is the second least valuable – trailing only first base. Basically, anyone who can play any other position on the field, except perhaps catcher, *should* be able to play left field.

So, if the idea is that Nick Senzel, who has no real outfield experience, is going to play some outfield, he probably should get some time in left. The ball does move differently off of the bat in the corners than it does in center field. There’s some value in getting him looks in left. And in right.

But, let’s go back to that first part. The front office believes that Nick Senzel has the athleticism to play center field. That’s great. In fact, that’s better than great. Center field, outside of catcher and shortstop, is the most valuable position on the field. There aren’t many center fielders that can hit well. The position is more about defense than offense. So if they believe he can actually play defense there, it’s huge. There’s not much reason to think that Nick Senzel can’t hit in the Major Leagues. The average Major League Baseball center fielder is hitting .252/.318/.405 in 2018. I believe that everyone thinks Senzel is going to be a significantly better hitter than that.

The Cincinnati Reds left fielder going into the spring should be Jesse Winker. The same Jesse Winker who has hit .299/.397/.460 in 471 career plate appearances in the Major Leagues and all of that was done while he was 23-24 years old. The Cincinnati Reds right fielder going into spring training should be Scott Schebler. He’s entering what should be his prime, and this season he’s hitting .274/.350/.474. Both guys have shown that they are above-average Major League hitters. In fact, in 2018, both were well above-average.

The Cincinnati Reds center fielder, by default, has been Billy Hamilton since the team moved on from Shin-Soo Choo after 2013. Billy Hamilton is currently hitting .241/.300/.333. He’s an elite defender. His base running is still very strong, but it’s a far cry from what it used to be. He’s stolen roughly half as many bases this year as he did in 2014–2017. His offense has not gotten better at any point in his career. There’s no reason at all to think it’s going to. In fact, this year because of his lack of steals, he’s gotten worse overall offensively because the steals helped make up for the entire lack of production with the bat.

For the time being, Billy Hamilton as the Reds starting center fielder makes sense, sort of. If the Reds don’t believe that anyone else on the 40-man roster can play center field that is currently ready to hit in the big leagues, then Hamilton really is the only option. Jose Siri can play a mean defensive center field – but he’s probably not ready to hit in the big leagues right now. That could change in the future, but right this second, he’s probably not there.

The other outfielders on the 40-man roster? It’s hard to believe the Reds think any of them can handle center every day. Phillip Ervin has come out this year and hit like he’s never hit before. He’s rarely played center. Gabriel Guerrero played a lot of center in Triple-A and Double-A this season. He has 20 HR power and hit .280 in the minors. He’s not playing in center for the Reds. Scott Schebler gets brought up often as someone who may play center. But he never actually plays there. Aristides Aquino isn’t a center fielder even in the minors. Mason Williams has some experience there, and he’s gotten a few games in there as a Major Leaguer, too. Given his lack of overall playing time, though, the organization can’t see him as a future potential starter.

That means that the Cincinnati Reds have eight players on their current 40-man roster who are listed as outfielders. Two of them it would seem can play center field well enough to be there every day. One of them is Jose Siri, who isn’t ready to play in the Major Leagues right now. And the other is Billy Hamilton, who has been among the worst hitting every day players in Major League Baseball since he reached the sports highest level.

As noted above, his base running certainly has added plenty of value to that – but this season it’s not been anywhere near the same as it has been in the past. It’s still quite good, though, because with Hamilton it’s not just the steals – it’s going 1st to 3rd or 1st to home when only a handful of other players in the game could also do that. Still, the overall offensive production from Hamilton is, and has been well below-average for the entirety of his career.

So that begs the question: If the Cincinnati Reds front office believes that Nick Senzel can play center field, why is that not the focus? Not only is center field an actual, real need for the Cincinnati Reds right now, they’ve got multiple corner outfield options both now and behind those “now” guys ready for the Majors today. Jose Siri and Taylor Trammell may eventually be the guys for center field. It wouldn’t surprise me if that were the case. And it also wouldn’t surprise me if Nick Senzel wound up back on the dirt – second base specifically.

However, it seems that the plan for the Reds is to play Nick Senzel in the outfield. And they have stated at least, that they think he could handle center. The fact that center is not the main focus just seems off to me. It’s literally the only spot on the field that the team has a glaring need among the non-pitching spots. The Reds are getting above-average output from every other spot on the diamond.

And as pointed out by Redleg Nation on their twitter feed, there’s only so much time to get Senzel ready as an outfielder for 2018. Between instructional league, and perhaps some Arizona Fall League if they choose to send him there, he’ll have roughly 2 months, and roughly 35 games to play outfield. Of course there’s time in the offseason beyond that to work on left, center, right. But it’s not the same as being out there, with other players hitting real baseballs in professional stadiums.

Nick Senzel is a guy who seems to put it all into what he does. Everything I’ve seen, everything I’ve heard over the years suggests that. The guy works, and he works hard. I have no doubt he’ll do everything he can to learn the positions asked of him. But from where the Cincinnati Reds are coming from, with their words, the logic is just tough to follow.

Center field is where guys don’t hit. If you have a center fielder who can hit, play that guy in center field. And play that guy there 155 times a year. Don’t worry about “what if he’s got to play left?” or “what if he’s got to play right?”. Worry about filling the biggest weakness on your team with the best prospect you’ve had in your organization in over a decade. The idea that Nick Senzel is believed to be capable of playing center field, and that’s not the primary focus of his development over the next two months in Arizona given the other pieces of this team and organization just comes off as a terrible utilization of assets.

• Colt Holt

Actually, I would say that this has been drastically overstated (overblown) this year, but who is counting anyways.

• Mac

Actually I believe the FO has a clue but the owner, who loves Billy, won’t allow his demotion to role player. Hamilton puts buts in the seats and his catches make ESPN highlights almost nightly so that equals irreplaceable in Bob’s eyes. I suspect if Bob would stay out of it, Senzel would be the starting CF coming 2019.

I can’t imagine there are people out there thinking “let’s to see Billy Hamilton” tonight.

• Norwood Nate

And there’s the rub, “if Bob would stay out of it”. It’s hard to know who is deciding what as far as the FO goes. It doesn’t appear that Big Bob and Walt have allowed DW or Krall to make many decisions on their own. We have heard mentioned plenty of times that Walt, Bob, and Riggleman have input on most of the decisions being made this year. I think when people complain about the FO (and I’ve been guilty of this) they really mean the decision making of the club and not necessarily DW or Krall. Because who really knows what decisions they get to make or not make. The decision making process does appear convoluted and nonsensical more often than not.

I tend to agree with Mac, people actually do come to the ballpark to see Billy Hamilton. He can be absolutely electrifying like no other player in baseball defensively or on the base paths. Casual fans that see the highlights or see him on the leader board for stolen bases quite likely come to the park to see him play. But winning is the best draw for fans. Hamilton’s ability to consistently make the highlight reel doesn’t translate into consistent production that leads to winning. It is mystifying why the Reds haven’t worked to minimize Hamilton’s plate appearances in order to maximize how his elite talents could best fit within the team.

1. Cal Daniels

I guess Winker will have to spend his entire career in right where he clearly isn’t a good fit. I hope they aren’t making long term decisions to accommodate Schebler.

• Colt Holt

You hope they aren’t making long term decisions based on including a solid player who hasn’t entered arbitration yet?

• Ricky spanish

For a team that loses 90 games every year there are a whole lot of positions seemingly locked up. I’m not sold on schebler either.

When you’ve got the worst starting pitching for four straight years, and it’s generally not been particularly close, you can lose a whole lot of games while still being a solid offensive team.

2. I-71_Exile

I played all three outfield positions and center field was by far the easiest. Left and right were about the same depending on how many right-handed pull hitters you had to face. Once Nick learns to read the spin off the bat in left, he’ll be able to handle center provided he has enough speed. If I recall, Billy didn’t spend a whole lot of time learning center. He was amazing defensively from the get-go. Hopefully, Mr. Senzel has similar untapped instincts.

• I-71_Exile

I guess what I’m trying to say is that center is a step down in my experience from left/right provided you have the speed. I don’t know why the Reds wouldn’t just play Senzel exclusively in center, but I’m not all that bothered by their approach assuming the move him there eventually.

I’m both concerned about Winker’s recovery from shoulder surgery for early 2019 and excited about the possibility that the lingering injury might explain some of his power outage (coupled with his wrist injury).

• RedFuture

Hamilton’s only possible value in the outfield was at CF. Can you imagine anyone ever playing Hamilton in Left or Right (Hitting positions). I think you are reading too much into Sensel starting out in LF. It sounds like they clearly said he’ll get time in CF and RF. That said, I hope that he does well in CF and can take that position. However, I’m happy for him to get time in LF & RF (What would Maddon do?). Furthermore, if Williams is serious about improving the starting rotation trades of a position player or two might be in the offing. Be ready Nick for anywhere on the diamond.

Hamilton shouldn’t be playing anywhere on a regular basis. That’s the point. He’s not good enough to play every day. Hamilton should be used as a defensive replacement and a pinch runner. That’s it. He shouldn’t pinch hit unless he’s the last guy available. He shouldn’t start because he’s not good enough. He’s a 5th outfielder that’s been jammed into a starters role because he’s literally been the only option the team has even considered for center field for the last 5 years.

I talked with Nationals’ Adam Eaton this past winter who was going to be playing leftfield. He said he much prefered center and right because left was the toughest for him defensively.

4. redlegs4ever

I played exclusively CF in High School but was also a pitcher so I would shag occasionally in left and right depending on which was closer to the bullpen I was working in. CF is by far the easiest in terms of reads, the only difficult one is the line drive right at you but it happens 1 out of 100 tops and it’s also usually right at you. Left you would get more funky spins than right mostly because left handed hitters tend to go the other way more than righties and also righties tend to get jammed more and their ball will actually slice toward CF which you rarely get in RF. However on the fields and stadiums I played in in High School the sun field was almost always RF, but in GABP it’s actually LF, idk if that’s the case in Goodyear as well or not but the sun is/was the most difficult thing about playing OF to me. Personally if it was me I would start Senzel in CF and worrying about him learning a corner only if it becomes necessary/the last resort.

5. redlegs4ever

Now, I wanted to make this a separate post so the different issues can be discussed specifically.

When Senzel was moved off/never given a chance to play SS the main thing I heard was he wasn’t athletic enough to play the position. That’s all well and good but I have to say it takes a heckuva lot more athleticism to play CF than it does SS. So either CF isn’t going to work either or the Reds never had any intention of allowing him to play SS, my theory, for whatever reason.

6. Sparky Anderson

You can look it up, Billy Hamilton has hit .273 since July 1st (59-216). Hasn’t gotten any better offensively? You might just want to check his stats again. And since he’s a gold glove in CF, that certainly means a lot.

I love watching Billy Hamilton–when he makes a play its often electrifying. That said, the most recent 216 at bats represent less than 10% of his major league body of work. He simply can’t find a way to get on base consistently enough to justify his lineup spot. The Reds could garner a lot of value from him as a pinch runner/ defensive replacement where his at bats were minimized over a 162 game season.

*looks at Billy Hamilton’s stats*

Has a .638 OPS in 2018. Had a .634 OPS in 2017. Had a .664 OPS in 2016. Has a .633 OPS for his career.

Sorry, but 216 at-bats isn’t showing he’s improved. His entire career he’s been the same guy. Like most players he’s going to have some ups-and-downs within a season. Pointing to the ups isn’t showing us improvement.

7. Tampa Red

I think the difficulty of playing LF is never accurately evaluated. But having said that, I have been advocating Senzel to CF for a year now so glad to see it’s finally going to happen. I’ve never viewed the whole Gennett/Senzel situation as either/or. And I’ve never felt the you make the Reds a better team by trading one of your best hitters to make room for a guy that “might” be as good, someday, maybe.

An OF of Winker-Senzel-Schebler and an IF of Suarez-Peraza-Gennett-Votto, with a bench of Blandino, Casali, Dixon and Ervin puts the Reds in position to compete with anyone…..with major upgrades to the pitching staff.

Billy hamilton went from ss to cf without a hiccup. We are overplaying the defensive value of one single position. The Reds have at least 6 players on the 40 man that could play 140 games in centerfield. Some days it may be ugly and some days it may lead to a loss but overall the bat outweighs the glove.

9. RobL

I never take anything Dick Williams says at face value. If I had to guess the reason behind what he said, I would say he is being supportive of his player. Publicly, you show nothing but positivity. You don’t want to come out and say you don’t think he can play center. I don’t think they ever said that they don’t feel he can play short. These decisions are made behind closed doors. You tell Senzel that the team has a gold glove in center and you want to use him in another area of need.

Do they “truly” believe he can play center? I have no idea, but I wouldn’t think they would just come out and say no. Or maybe the idea of a Winker (below average), Senzel (new), Schebler (average at best) outfield is too much risk, especially with this pitching staff.

The only thing that I know, is that I don’t get worked up about anything Dick says.

10. Bill

The positive I take from this is that the Reds are looking for ways to get Senzel on the field without subtracting from our productive hitters. The more versatile he is, the more (and sooner) he can make a contribution at the major league level. If he can start in CF … huge bonus. 162 game seasons are long and versatility is one way to prepare for inevitable injuries and to avoid late season fatigue.

Except that Jessie looked really good until he got hurt.
      Power was the only thing lacking.
      So the Really unproductive player we have is BIlly.
      Followed to a lesser degree my Tucker.
      I would focus on CF, as that is a big need.

Jose has earned himself one more year at SS, but needs to improve on the D.

I don’t think it would be right to jam Senzel into the lineup in CF, just to push Billy Hamilton aside. In my opinion, the Reds need to find ways to get Senzel into the major league lineup without detracting from the positive offensive contributions we are getting at every position but CF. In other word, they may need to find a different solution than Hamilton at CF. What I don’t want to see is Senzel sitting on the bench in Cincinnati. I would prefer to see him start at a variety of positions than spend excessive time at AAA or having to “wait his turn” while his skills atrophy on the bench. Like I said, if he can play a legitimate CF at the major league level … great. But it would be a huge mistake to put him in a position where he’s not likely to be successful defensively just to get his bat in the lineup or just to get Hamilton’s bat out of the lineup.

I don’t think anyone disagrees with this Bill. The issue at hand is that it seems the Reds are saying one thing ‘he’s athletic enough to play center’, but then not actually making that the focus of where he’ll play. Finding out if he can play center, since they seem to think he can, should absolutely, 100% be the focus over the next two months. The fact that it’s not either means they are blowing smoke up our butts on the “athletic enough to play center” thing for some reason, have an owner who simply refuses to think anyone but Billy Hamilton is allowed to play center, or they’re all kinds of confused about how to use their assets. I definitely don’t think it’s the latter option. I definitely think the former two could be actual options.

My point was that Senzel’s versatility doesn’t mean Winker loses his position.

Doug, I agree with your premise, 100%. But I guess I just take the FO words with a grain of salt. Senzel is a potential trade asset. I would not expect the Reds to give a fully disclosed scouting report on him to the public. That doesn’t make them foolish or confused, but it is frustrating as a fan. As we see how they actually use him, we’ll see their real plan. Lastly, it is entirely possible, the Mr. C. has tied their hands on Hamilton and if that’s the case we’ll continue to see the beauty of the occasional bolt of lightning overshadowed by the dark overcast of a player that we all know can’t hit enough as a starting CF.

11. Numbers

Front office in recent years has said: senzel athletic enough to play short, will see some time there. India athletic enough to play short, had plenty opportunity to do so this year.
    Neither of those things really happened, so I don’t really trust anything the front office says about “this guy could play “

the FO is looking is looking like Bob is putting his fingers in it.
      I think Bob wants to win, but he is causing problems.

12. cinvenfan

I said it before season started. Play Senzel in the Of. Not care one bit about “position value” if you can get his bat in the lineup. As it seems Scooter will be in the team and hitting well, Peraza’s bat has come to life and Suarez is an All Star, it’s the only solution. The offense should be very good. Now defense….
    At some point in 2019 or 2020 Siri or Trammel should take over CF, so the one not performing will be the odd man.

13. Doc

Not sure what the big deal is about where Senzel plays.

Some kid named Rose made 17 All Star games from multiple positions, played all over the field in his career: 3B, 2B, OF. Didn’t seem to hurt him or the team.

Some kid named Biggio sits in the HOF after a couple of years as a catcher, a couple more in CF, a bunch of years at 2B. Didn’t seem to hurt him or the Astros.

Quite possibly the best CF option the Reds currently have is sitting in the bullpen in Lorenzen. Hits, hits with power, throws…. Says even more about their futility at developing pitching that they have to play Hamilton in CF so they can have Lorenzen as a relief pitcher so they can keep their win total in the high 60s.

14. Bred

I am reluctant to say this because it would hurt, but if the Reds want to trade for a 1 or a 2, the deal could be a 1 or 2 SP for Sauez. Then Senzel would have his spot. I think ES’s contract and his play make that kind of deal possibly.

Well, since our starting pitching in one of the worst in baseball, what would be a good idea.
      This team can score runs, but SP is terrible.

It’s statements like this that make me question whether anyone in the FO actually understands anything about baseball. Doug your last paragraph sums up the situation very nicely. I try to give DW and Krall a pass for the most part because I truly believe they are handcuffed by Big Bob and Walt. They’ve never taken the training wheels off for them and allowed them to do the job. I guess that’s what you get when you hire your friend’s younger relatives.

I also think the Reds decision makers have undersold Ervin’s ability to play CF, especially in GABP. He can hit well enough to play there regularly and especially against LH starters. The corner positions, as you mentioned, should be taken by Winker (LF) and Schebler (RF). I don’t mind trying to find Senzel a place to play, but find a place where he isn’t blocked. Even if it were RF instead of LF it would make more sense because Schebler can slide to CF. Winker is pretty much relegated to LF if we want him to play average defense some place.

It’s hard to be a fan the way this organization makes decisions. I’m really struggling to find a reason for any optimism that 2019 may be different than the past four seasons.

• Rojo Benjy

“It’s statements like this that make me question whether anyone in the FO actually understands anything about baseball. Doug your last paragraph sums up the situation very nicely…It’s hard to be a fan the way this organization makes decisions.”

My opinion on the situation as well.

16. Scott C

What this says to me is that the Reds FO (Castellini) values Hamilton much more than he does Winker. Once Again the Guy has no clue about baseball is only hypnotized by the flash.

17. Doc

I thought Suarez was a SS who moved to 3B because Cozart was at SS. How did he make it so far up the ladder at SS if he couldn’t play it, and how can he have become an All Star 3B if he can’t learn a position?

18. Bill

Given Suarez defense this year, leads NL in errors and a porous .948 fielding percentage, shouldn’t the Reds consider moving him to RF and have Senzel start at 3B? Schebler would slide over to CF in this scenario.

19. MikeD

The Reds management is over their head. Who is making the decisions is questionable, but the Reds continue to manage resources like they are all a bunch of checkers on a checker board. At some point they have to resemble a chess board, where particular players move based on logic and strategy. Sorry, but that’s the best way I can describe what I see. Suarez messed the Reds up by being so good and then Gennett came along and has shown to be very good as well. Both are great luxuries, but now get some freaking pitching with the extra talent. You have a left fielder and a right fielder, if you don’t believe Senzel is capable and you are not moving Suarez or Gennett, then get Nick healthy and trade him. I don’t want to, but in order to get something, you have to give something. Also, you have Trammel knocking on the door and again, have a plan!!!! OMG, please have some kind of plan. If they do and Bob kills it, then we are all screwed! Yes, I am truly sick of the aimless direction.

Hey Doug, maybe you have to tread careful in the event that you continue to progress, you might get banned from the GAB press box!

The Reds will not grant any access to me. Not at GABP. Not in spring training. Because I write on the internet and not for some company worth millions of dollars where they can call my boss if they don’t like something I do. I should clarify that when I say “the Reds”, I mean media relations. I do not have much issue at all reaching out directly to people in the organization via the phone/email/text. But the few times I’ve wanted to actually do my job at GABP – such as coming down on day 1 of draft night to speak with the GM and Scouting director – nope. Not allowed. In spring training when requested to have access to the practice fields in the area behind the building where fans aren’t allowed but media/family is, nope, not allowed.

• Wes

You’re blacked balled bc you’re not fake news. Like u little more today Doug !! Lol

More serious though- that’s a shame bc u create great exposure for the reds. You educate baseball fans about the process of the player which in turn makes a fan more embedded in the sport. And the fact u do that directly for one organization makes their fans more embedded and they should be grateful for what you do! The pride of men…..smh.

20. Hoyce

The right thing to do, as hard as it would be to swallow, is trade Suarez for a young controllable starter. Reds have a stud waiting that won’t have to play outta position and without pitching there is no chance to win.period
    Next I would wait for 2020 and try to sign Trevor Bauer on a series of 1-year contracts(that’s what he actually prefers) at a high rate each year
    You just can’t even tender Bham next yr($10M) or scooter the following year unless he comes at a discount. Money must be saved for pitching

21. MikeD

Hoyce I understand your suggestion and could agree with it, despite Geno being my favorite player, BUT it better be a young ace pitcher who will be Cincinnati for 4 years!

22. Hoyce

Doug- any chance that the rays bite on a Suarez /snell trade? Both are ridiculously valuable. But Suarez is locked in at a given rate. Snell will make a lotta $$ thru arb soon
    Rays are always $ conscious.

23. DannyR

There was a article in MLB rumors that the reds was looking for outfielders this offseason.
    Maybe there looking for a center fielder?
    Or shining up Senzel for a trade?

• MikeD

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. More outfielders is just what this team needs. If that is at all true, this front office needs their heads examined! Good grief. Pitching and maybe MORE pitching!

24. SteveLV

I had the same experience as I-71. Played infield in high school. Went to college, they needed an outfielder, so played left for a year, and then center. Also thought Center was easier. Easier to read most balls off the bat.
    Was one of the first proponents of Senzel in center but backed off due to Doug’s health concern comments. They need to get Suarez, Gennett, Winker, Senzel on the field at the same time or trade one of them for pitching.

25. Troy

When I saw Senzel was going to play outfield I was hoping it meant Jesse in left, Schebler in center and Senzel in right. If they think Senzel can actually play center- great- then keep Schebler in right.. another option would be to hypothetically trade Schebler in a package for a starting pitcher and sign a guy you think can play center and also can actually hit major league pitching. But Hamilton can’t hit and that is abundantly clear. Having him and the pitcher in the same lineup is really tough… how about Lorenzen in center instead!? ;)

26. David Taylor

All I care is that the Reds let the players compete and don’t worry about hurting someone’s feelings. If Senzel out hits Winker then put Winker on the bench until someone gets gets hurt or slumps. Nobody owns a position- this team hasn’t performed yet to give a position to anyone. Ok, Votto is a lock for Prime Minister.

Hypathicals are only fun when there’s a chance it might happen. Even if that chance is .0001% atleast it’s fun to throw ideas around. Reds management and ownership are so bad that they took the fun out of dreaming of a winning team.

I gave dw and new management as much slack as I could possibly muster. The rose colored glasses are off and it’s tough to even pay attention

28. Kong

My biggest concern playing the outfield is the walls. We have all heard from Doug that Nick has a proclivity for runnig into walls. Very problematic.

Someone has jokes.

Just to clarify for anyone who doesn’t understand what’s going on here: Kong is upset that I’ve said in the past that I think Nick Senzel playing in the outfield makes it more likely that his vertigo reoccurs because impacts with the wall or other outfielders is more likely there than it is on the dirt. And that one thing that can trigger an episode of vertigo is a rapid, jarring head movement. What I never actually said is that he’s got a proclivity to run into walls.